Pages

Tuesday 13 December 2011

The Fad associated with the word ''DIET''

Hi Everybody,

There is no denying the fact that at some point of time or the other, all of us have forced ourselves into some sort of a “diet regime” to get rid of those extra masses. That is even true for me. Being from a middle-class Bengali family, I used to thrive on ‘MAACH-BHAAT’ (fish and rice), and obviously it showed its results by giving me that extra girth.

During my high school days when I used to stand in front of the mirror, I used to sigh in sadness about the way I was putting on weight. All my friends were all so slim and trim! This gave me a push and made me desperate to lose some inches. I, like many others, was of the view that diet is all about punishing yourself for having treated yourself to all the grand delicacies, and now you need to starve yourself to lose those masses.

Initially I did get some encouraging results after cutting down on my sweets, chocolates, rice and red meat (which is a known fact to everybody).I was losing weight but not at an alarming rate, and to top it, I was losing the sheen on my face, losing hair and most of all, as soon as I was breaking my diet for a month I was again accumulating the lost weight and sometimes even more.

The major change took place when I took that as a challenge. I started reading some books and articles to throw some light on this matter.I got several inputs.I followed some of them blindly and to some I added my own spice. I even followed some of my friends who suggested several solutions.Finally,I deduced my own diet plan,which after several misses, was bang on,and I started losing weight.Though dietary requirements may vary from person to person, but there are certain key points which one must keep in mind.

First and foremost, to lose weight, please eat. It is all about eating well balanced meals, eating it in right proportions and eating in regular intervals. Enjoy what you eat.

Secondly, do have your indulgence days. Our mind does all the thinking bit and also gives the signal that we are on diet (though I personally do not believe in the phrase of on-diet or off-diet, as diet should not be something which you cannot take forward  after your so-called diet phase).As soon as we think that we were on diet for a whole month, immediately we tend to over eat on the day of our indulgence, so give yourself the liberty of food indulgence twice a month.

Thirdly, do not miss your breakfast. It is almost as if you are trying to drive at a speed of 100Km/hr, when you are still on the first gear.

THINGS TO REMEMBER:
  • Never skip your meals
  • It is better to have small and frequent meals than a few large ones(preferably 6 meals)
  • Try not to sleep immediately after a meal
As said by one of the renowned dieticians -Diet is not starvation. Diet has to be a representation of what you will be eating your entire life.

Last word for today- Just as every person is different and unique, so is everyone’s metabolic rate and dietary requirements.With some minor customizations to the balanced diet one can achieve the desired result.

No comments:

Post a Comment